Re: Installing on a small root partition

Anil Gupte wrote:
Need help and advice.
I am trying to do a specialized install of Debian. Note that I have done two or three before (in the past), but without knowing much about what was going on - I mostly accepted the defaults. This system happens to be in a place where there are frequent power losses. So, my plan is to have a small root partition (say about 100MB), and make it a read-only partition. This way, there will be no corruption on constant reboots. The apps, logs etc will be on a separate partition. The read-only partition idea was a suggestion from a Linux guru, as a solution for inodes etc being corrupted and the system not booting properly. I tried the Debian installer, but it fails, and I am pretty sure that is because the root partition is small. Is there any way to tell the installer where to put which files? I am installing from a DVD containing Sarge. Any suggestions will be welcome. Also, any advice on the read only root partition will be helpful.

I am not sure that a read-only root partition will work. Your system must be able to write to devices in /dev (which is mounted from somewhere else if you use udev). As for installing on a small root partition, check out DSL, which I believe has something like a 50 MB base install.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto