Re: Nvidia Driver Problems

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 13:41:22 +0300, David Baron wrote:
> After attempting to use Debian's version which crashed when trying to run any
> DRI application, I returned to the same version number from Nvidia. Works
> fine ... until the next bootup in which case the X simply does not start up.
> The log reveals a nearly complete sequence, no errors. The bootup logcheck
> may show:
> Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm: :0[4689]: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
> Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm[4644]: X server for display :0 terminated
> unexpectedly
> Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm[4644]: Display :0 cannot be opened
> Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm[4644]: Unable to fire up local display :0;
> disabling.
>
> I removed the Debian packages, reinstalled Nvidia's. Worked fine but next
> bootup, the same thing. In both cases Nvidia's reinstall says the
> installation was "modified" (it was not, not by me).
>
> One problem brought to mind is that the two installations use different
> directories for their various pieces. I should "only" have Nvidia's around.
>
> Is this a bug in the most recent version?
> What do I do about it? (could go back to previous version which gave me no
> trouble at all but that was before installing Debian's).

Did you purge the nvidia-glx package? If you only removed it, then you
still have the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx script which messes with the
symlink for libglx.so on every reboot. The failure to start X is
probably the result of trying to use the nvdidia driver with Xorg's
original libglx.so.

--
Regards,
          Florian