Re: Why date command don't use my time zone ?

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 11:45:32AM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:

> (The following is based on my experience. I hope I'm not entirely wrong
> in my understanding of how this works. :-)
>
> If you log in on a regular terminal (i.e. not in X at all) then
> /etc/environmentis used. Mine looks like this:
>
>   LANGUAGE="en_GB:en_GB:en"
>   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>
> The dpkg-reconfigure you did should have affected that file. However,
> I'm not sure whether it'll take effect without a reboot.
>
> If you log in using a display manager (GDM, KDM, ...) then it might set
> the locale itself (I know GDM does). AFAIK you have to log out, change
> the locale, then log in again in order to change it.

The OP was asking why "date" does not show the time in the correct time
zone.  That is set by /etc/timezone or the TZ environment variable.  The
locale affects the language for month and weekday names, whether
dates are shown in m/d/y or d/m/y or y-m-d format, and whether time
is shown in 12 or 24 hours.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 34th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3172
Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.