Re: customizing scripts /etc/init.d

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:28:42PM EDT, Dave Kuhlman wrote:

[...]

> I don't know your needs, but if possible, you're best off if you
> create a new script of your own, rather than modifying an existing
> script, and add your new script to the appropriate run levels.

Good point. And since debian apparently uses only rc1 & rc2 this would
tend to suggest that the "debian way" is to use one of the other
runlevels.. or possibly better create an rc7.. for instance..  and
customize in a separate place altogether.  I would imagine that
runlevels  > 6 would remain unscathed after an upgrade since they are
not created by the standard debian installer.

Maybe this is is the way the *nix designers initially wanted sysadmins
to customize the boot process?

> Debian makes that easy to do.  You probably already found the
> following link from the above link, but just in case ...
>
>     http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys#s-sysvinit
>
> This link shows how to use update-rc.d to add your new script to
> the default run levels.

That's my problem. I don't know debian and I just don't have the time
to learn it.

Thanks,

cga