Re: Problems with PPP on boot

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 06:39:25PM +0200, Tomaz Solc wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have a server running Sarge that is connected to the internet through
> PPPoE (I have a DSL line). I'm running several services, including DNS
> (bind 8.4.6-1) and ntpd.
>
> When machine boots, it seems that sometimes daemons will start before
> pppd manages to establish a connection. For some services like Apache
> this presents no problem. But Bind and NTP will not listen for
> connections coming from the internet, because the ppp0 network device
> didn't exist when they were starting. This is quite a problem, because
> the machine is crippled after a reboot until I manually restart Bind and
> NTP.
>
> I have my PPP connection configured in /etc/network/interfaces like this:
>
> auto ppp0
> iface ppp0 inet ppp
>         pre-up ifconfig eth1 up
>         post-up waitfor ppp0 30
>         post-down ifconfig eth1 down
>         provider dsl-provider-2.4
>
> "waitfor" is a script that waits for ppp0 device to become available.
> This was one of my failed attempts to try to halt the boot process until
> the internet connection is established.

My understanding is that the init scripts (in /etc/init.d/) are
run in sequence and that the two-digit number in the names of
the symbolic links in /etc/rc1.d/, /etc/rc2.d/, etc determines the
order in which the scripts in /etc/init.d/ are run.  For example,
S13gdm would be started before S14ppp.

Take a look at these:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-boot
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys#s-sysvinit
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys#s-/etc/init.d

And, by the way, using Debian tools such as update-rc.d will help
you manage those symbolic links.

I use RoaringPenguin PPPoE, so I have my own init script (one I
wrote; OK, I copied another script in /etc/init./ and made minor
modifications), which brings up the PPPoE link and starts my
firewall script.

In your case, is Bind being started by an init script in
/etc/init.d/?  If so, perhaps you could add a new init script that
brings up the PPPoE connection.  Then, using update-rc.d, add the
symbolic links to your script with a number that causes your PPPoE
init script to be run before the Bind init script and any others
that require the PPPoE link.

Did I understand your problem correctly?

Dave

[snip]

--
Dave Kuhlman