Re: Skype alternatives (was: sound proble for KsCD/Skype/xmms in Debian Sid)

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 12:14:37AM +0000, Jason Spiro wrote:
> All,
>
> I have problems with Skype too. Does anyone know of a good open-source
> VoIP program that will let me talk with my cousin in the U.S. who uses
> Windows? I believe both of us are behind firewalls. I prefer not to open
> up any ports, but am willing to; I do not think my cousin can. I am
> looking for a Linux app for me and an easy-to-use Windows app for my
> cousin.

I've had good results with linphone (combined with running siproxd on
the firewall/gateway).
    <plug type="shameless">www.jorgensen.org.uk/linphone</plug>

If your friend has (or gets) a sip-capable app for windows (sorry: can't
help on that front...), you should be ready to go. You could even have
him register with your sip proxy, although there must be lots of
(independent) willing proxies out there.

Failing that, there must be SIP-to-PSTN gateway providers that give
cheap calls to the states. I can name a couple, but I never call the
states...

> I am willing to open a port or two but cannot open a range of ports; my
> SMC router won't let me open more than 20 ports, it seems. Thanks in
> advance.

With siproxd you should be able to just use a couple of ports.

> --
> When you open Windows, bugs get in!

:-) Nice one!

--