Re: Broken packages in Debian Sid

On 6/26/06, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:26:56AM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 6/25/06, Wasyl <wasyl.w@network.lviv.ua> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >When i want to install a package often i see such result:
> >
> >[~] % sudo apt-get install rhythmbox
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> >requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> >distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> >or been moved out of Incoming.
> >
> >Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> >the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> >that package should be filed.
> >The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> >
> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   rhythmbox: Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-good but it is not going to
> >be installed
> >E: Broken packages
> >
> >[~] % sudo apt-get install  gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> >requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> >distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> >or been moved out of Incoming.
> >
> >Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> >the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> >that package should be filed.
> >The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> >
> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good: Depends: libxdamage1 but it is not going
> >to be installed
> >E: Broken packages
>
> Try aptitude from Etch/Sid, which has a nice dependency resolution
> feature; It will try various ways in which you can resolve dependency
> problems till such a point that the problem can't be fixed, in which
> case you should really file bugs...

I find the suggestions I get from aptitude usually get in my way; it
seems mostly to want to undo the installations/upgrades I'm asking for,
and I don't seem to be able to get to the proposed list of packages to
be installed/upgraded/removed/broken without accepting its suggestions.
Otherwise I might be able to resolve some of it myself.

In many cases, you should just follow its suggestions, and run the
exact same command again and again, and follow through 'till the end;
You often have to uninstall the packages you require (those on the
command line) in order to be able to upgrade those same packages. It
has worked for me this way.