Re: Troubleshooting NIS

On Saturday 24 June 2006 22:38, Gerard Sharpe wrote:
> Phil wrote:
> > I'm trying to setup some servers at school.  I'm using NIS because I've
> > use it before an it was easy.
> >
> > ypserv and ypbind come up as running on their respective machines, but
> > the client machine - at first seemed to authenticate and then give
> > "can';t write to /home folder" messages and now seems not to authenticate
> > at all.
> >
> > NFS is up and running.  I can see and access the server's home folders
> > from the client machine.
> >
> > Where does one start to trouble shoot?
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> Check that the portmap daemon is running on the NFS server:
> ---
> $ ps auxw | grep portmap
> daemon     126  0.0  0.0  1380  432 ?        Ss   May30   0:00
> /sbin/portmap ---
>
> Check the server is responding by using rpcinfo on the client:
> ---
> /usr/bin/rpcinfo  -p  <server_name>
> ---
>
> What do you have in your /etc/exports file?
> What logging in messages/syslog do you get when you startup ypbind/ypserv?

> Gerard

Thanks for responding.
I checked rpcinfo already and got THIS:

kermitplace:/home/phil # rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100005    1   udp    856  mountd
    100005    2   udp    856  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    859  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    859  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100009    1   udp    758  yppasswdd
    100004    2   udp    667  ypserv
    100004    1   udp    667  ypserv
    100004    2   tcp    670  ypserv
    100004    1   tcp    670  ypserv

I did your ps command and got this line:
bin       3723  0.0  0.0  1420  564 ?        Ss   Jun23   0:00 /sbin/portmap
(BTW,  what does the "auxw do?)

 Additionally I have been able to dump my passwd and shadow.byname files with
a ypcat command on one of the clients.

when I issue a ypwhich with the -x flag on one of the clients (who are running
SUsE 10,1)  I get the shared map files.

I read something about incompatible versions of NIS,  how do I check
versions??  Is there anything else to check?

Phil