Re: customizing scripts /etc/init.d - rcconf, update-rc.d, sysv-rc-conf

cga2000 wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 02:23:32PM EDT, cga2000 wrote:
> > Is there a "Debian way" to modify startup scripts?  Changes might
> > include: deactivating automatic startup of a given daemon.. changing the
> > daemon's running options.. adding a new script.. etc.
> >
> > Additionally, is the debian bootup process documented anywhere?

> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> cga

Hi cga;
[ Please "trim" your posts - exclude the 'sigs', taglines, and any other
irrelevant info, etc - thanks ]

Being fairly new to linux myself: I would like to continue this discussion in
detail (with input from many) , if it's ok with you... Notification: I appended
some relevant search terms (keywords) to the Subject: of this thread.

After reading my own links I posted - and noticing this excellent link at the
very bottom of one;
<http://blogs.cyberciti.biz/hm/index.php/2005/10/27/removing-unwanted-startup-debian-files-or-services/>

or
<http://tinyurl.com/k3yl4>
and from the info in this thread, so far, posted by the others who've
replied....(Thanks folks)

I must say - after installing *rcconf* - and taking a quick look -- it seems to
be exactly the tool to aid in Startup/Stopping of <whatever> Services/Deamons
you'd like during Bootup.
I certainly am going to use it.

Here is exactly how it occured on my Debian Sarge (hopefully these commands
(and their output) will aid you in obtaining info, both for your own knowledge
and for posting);

Note; my personal comments are preceded with two hashes (pound signs)--> [ ## ]

~$ uname -a
	Linux [$Hostname] 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

## from above, we see Linux, Kernel 2.6.8-2-368 - then later i686 GNU/Linux...
## meaning the i386/686 Intel Architecture (instead of one of the other 11 or
## 12 architectures available for Debian)
## This info helps those trying to figure which distro/version you're using,
## and while it doesn't say "Debian", we're in the linux.debian.user NG, so...

~$ apt-cache show rcconf
	Package: rcconf
	Section: admin
	Installed-Size: 112
	Maintainer: Atsushi KAMOSHIDA <kamop@debian.org>
	Architecture: all
	Version: 1.12
	Depends: whiptail | whiptail-provider | dialog, sysv-rc, perl, perl-modules
	Conflicts: file-rc
	Filename: pool/main/r/rcconf/rcconf_1.12_all.deb
	Size: 17460
	MD5sum: 04ca4de26f8462a85bd11b01ccf7b4d5
	This tool configures system services in connection with system
	runlevels.  It turns on/off services using the scripts in
	/etc/init.d/.  Rcconf works with System-V style runlevel configuration.
	It is a TUI (Text User Interface) frontend to the update-rc.d command.

....so, I try and see if it's already installed, and avaiable;

~$ sudo rcconf
	sudo: rcconf: command not found

so, then I install it;

~$ sudo apt-get install rcconf
	Reading Package Lists... Done
	Building Dependency Tree... Done
	rcconf
	0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
	Need to get 17.5kB of archives.
	After unpacking 115kB of additional disk space will be used.
	Get:1 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main rcconf 1.12 [17.5kB]
	Fetched 17.5kB in 3s (5661B/s)
	Selecting previously deselected package rcconf.
	(Reading database ... 90857 files and directories currently installed.)
	Unpacking rcconf (from .../archives/rcconf_1.12_all.deb) ...
	Setting up rcconf (1.12) ...
~$

So -- I fire it up;

~$ sudo rcconf
readline() on closed filehandle IN at /usr/bin/rcconf line 834.

Now - while there seems to be some sort of small error occuring on line 834,
the Utility *rcconf* fired up and listed all the running services. (Notes; use
the "SPACEBAR" to select/deselect each service, ...and use TAB to
Focus/Highlight, and ENTER to engage).
This is the way the typical Debian Installer (BlueScreen backgrounded) works
too....and I suppose, most .Deb pckgs/installation and reconfiguration
screens... as when using the 'dpkg-reconfigure <packagename>' command.

Rather than me trying to mess/hack the /etc/init.d and the various /etc/rcX.d
scripts (with all  their symlinks), I think I'll use this nifty little Text
based tool ;-)

I have an unrelated issue occuring with my 'locate' command (actually with it's
Updating ability, effectiveness), but I'll start another thread for that, since
it's really unrelated to this topic, but allow me to point out how to "find"
whatever it is you just installed;

~$ locate rcconf
and nothing returns, until I update the DataBase

~$ sudo updatedb
and now the updating occurs (and takes 2-5 minutes :-(, even  on this small
installation and small HD).

now the 'locate' command retrieves the relevant info, hence;

~$ locate rcconf
	/usr/bin/rcconf
	/usr/sbin/update-rcconf-guide
	/usr/share/doc/rcconf
	/usr/share/doc/rcconf/changelog.gz
	/usr/share/doc/rcconf/copyright
	/usr/share/doc/rcconf/README.Debian
	/usr/share/man/man8/rcconf.8.gz
	/usr/share/man/man8/update-rcconf-guide.8.gz
	/var/cache/apt/archives/rcconf_1.12_all.deb
	/var/lib/dpkg/info/rcconf.list
	/var/lib/dpkg/info/rcconf.md5sums
	/var/lib/dpkg/info/rcconf.postrm
	/var/lib/rcconf