Problem with Cups/Xsane printer settings

The situation after recent Etch dist-upgrades of Xsane and Cups:

The following Cups commands

   lp -d br printtest.txt

and

   lpr -P br printtest.txt

work where br is defined by Cups as a Brothers HL-730 laser printer on the lan attached to a Sarge box. The lp command reports a job number, the lpr command does not.

If I enter the first of the above commands in the Xsane Preferences/Setup/Copy/Command line and try to copy I get a broken pipe message. If I enter the second of the above commands in the Xsane Preferences/Setup/Copy/Command line and try to copy I get garbage - i.e. the printer prints pages of random characters. Apparently ghostscript is bypassed.

I also have an HP DeskJet 6540 on the lan attached to an Etch box. It was the default printer. The recent Etch dist-upgrade of Cups reassigned its address to usb://HP/Deskjet%206500?serialMY59M4Q1PW049X and reports the default printer formerly known as hp as failed. Nonetheless the commands lp and lpr printtest.txt work as describe above.

If I run Xsane Copy with the default "new printer" - the only printer shown after the upgrade - it uses the HP Deskjet.

Bottom Line: I can't use my Brothers printer with xsane and I can't customize the setup of the HP Deskjet.

If anyone has had any luck defining printers in the Xsane Preferences/Setup/Copy/Command line I would appreciate help in resolving my problem.

Tom George