Re: mounting USB mass storage devices

Hi,

Willie Wonka wrote:
> Got a  /etc/fstab entry like this?
>
> dev/sda      /media/usbkey   auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

Not only mounting does not work but also more fundamental things.

	shire:/home/kosik# cat /dev/sda
	cat: /dev/sda: No such device or address

	shire:/home/kosik# fdisk /dev/sda
	Unable to open /dev/sda

so something with the /dev/sda is wrong. Not the mount point (I could
create it and update /etc/fstab, but if the device does not work, I will
not have luck).

I have tried booting Knoppix (3.6) Live CD I had around for testing
purposes. I have chosen it because it is plug-and-play distribution just
to see if the /dev/sda device works there. No --- it does not. Maybe the
hardware stopped working but that is suspicious (after reinstalling the
system). I give up. Thank you for your help.
--
mk