Re: Can't build from source

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:49:37PM +0800, Lawrence Li wrote:
> hi list:
>
> This is probably newbie question, but I've encountered several
> obstacles when trying to compile from sources.

[...]

> When trying to compile from source, I follow these steps:
>
> # tar xvzf package.tar.gz (or tar xvjf package.tar.bz2)
> # cd package
> # ./configure
> # make
> # make install
>
> But somehow I always ended up stuck at "./configure" or "make". The
> error msg for the former is usually "No such file or directory", while
> for "make", it's usually this:
>
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>
> Another program (namely Privoxy) prompted with the following msg when
> I entered "make":
>
> To build this program, you must run
> *** autoheader && autoconf && ./configure and then run GNU make.
> *** Shall I do this for you now? (y/n) y
>
> So I chose "y", only to get a new error msg:
>
> /bin/sh: line 1: autoheader: command not found

Lothar says you need autoconf package. I would suggest you may need
more than just that. You have to have a complete build environment
along with all the dependencies of the particular package you are
building. Begin by checking the INSTALL or README files for a list of
required dependiencies. Also, I'm sure there is a meta-package for a
complete build toolchain, but I don't know and can't readily find
it.

Meanwhile, you may find something like "apt-get build-dep <package>"
is helpful as it will pull in all the dependencies for a particular
package.

Also, read the output of ./configure in detail as they usually tell
you what you are missing. One by one you can install all the
requirements until the tings works. Thankfully, this process gets
easier and easier the more you build as you begin to build-up a
greater repository of dependencies on your machine.

hth