HP Printer and Pre-Rendering

My girlfriend uses Debian (on my recommendation, though I use
Fedora Core), and we've hit a little snag. It turns out that
for some of the applications, her HP printer prints raw PostScript.
She is using HPIJS as the driver. On my machine, there is no
problem, but I have "Pre-Render" selected. Both of us use CUPS,
and GNOME, but the GNOME on Debian is sufficiently different
from the one I use, that I am having problems figuring out
how to get her printer to print without seeing raw PostScript.
The printer itself, of course, only understands straight ASCII,
IBM ASCII, and PCL (Printer Control Language) used by HP printers.

Note that this only happens with some applications, not all.
Which is also confusing. She was trying to crop some photos
using the GNOME image editing tool, and got raw PostScript.
OTOH, Mozilla has no problem printing images, though it cannot
crop them, of course.

Would someone please give us a little help with this?

Thanks,

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.