Re: ati's fglrx 8.25.18 and sid

On 23 Jun 2006, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:35:45 +0200
> Nicoco Kinlidex <nicoco@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > i am trying to get latest ati's driver working under debian sid.
> > i downloaded them from ati's website as debian repository only offers
> > 8.24.8 (which are working)
> > i created debian packages from the .run file, installed fglrx-driver,
> > fglrx-kernel-src, ran module-assistant.
> >
> > $ dmesg
> > (...)
> > [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.25.18 [May 18 2006] on minor 0
> > (...)
> >
> > Xorg.0.log :
> > (...)
> > (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
> > (...)
> > (II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
> > (II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled
> > (...)
> >
> > as you see, everything looks fine except :
> > $ fglrxinfo
> > display: :0.0  screen: 0
> > OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
> > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> > OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
> >
> > so I got back to 8.24.8 and everything works fine, EXCEPT google
> > earth, which was the reason of my trying to install this new version
> > of fglrx.
> >
> > has anyone got them working or have an idea ?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > --
> > Nicoco
> >

> See the thread "xorg 7 and ATI proprietary driver (fglrx)" from 19 June
> for some clues.
>
> --

That thread suggests installing fglrx-driver and fglrx-kernel-src and
then building with module-assistant. I tried that but module-assistant
refused to build fglrx-kernel-src, on the grounds that the appropriate
kernel headers are not installed.

It asked for linux-headers-2.6.16-1-686 but only 2.6.16-2-686 is
available. I installed that but it didn't accept it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian