Font problem (block instead of space) after upgrade to Xorg 7

Hi,

I run sid and I have a weird font problem after upgrading to Xorg 7. I
have changed the font paths in my xorg.conf file and most of the
applications I use (primarily Gnome-based) have no problems but xbuffy
and emacs-snapshot show rectangular boxes instead of spaces. Funnily
enough, emacs21 does not experience this problem with the same
configuration file.

I have a screenshot of the problem at http://zsridhar.com/Screenshot-xbuffy.png

I checked my Xorg.0.log file for errors or warnings and the only ones
I saw were:

Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.
Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.
Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.
Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.
Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.
Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.
Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.
Warning: FreeTypeRasteriseGlyph() returns an error,
        so the backend tries to set a white space.

Googling for this lead me to this discussion
http://www.mail-archive.com/freetype@nongnu.org/msg00742.html but the
symptoms are different.

Has anyone faced a similar problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
sridhar