Re: immigrate Debian from an older disk to a newer one?

Don't forget about the master boot record and partition tables.  I used
mondorescue to mirror my desktop here at work, but I've also used dd
with good results.  I don't think a plain cp command would get the
partition information, and anyhow, it's not likely that your new disk is
partitioned with the right filesystem.  (Imagine getting an
ext3-formatted drive at CompUSA!)

Can you give us an idea of what your current partitions look like?  For
example, the output of 'mount' or the contents of /etc/fstab.  That'll
help a bunch.

--John