Re: does this /etc/apt/sources.list look okay?

Default User wrote:
Hello. This is my /etc/apt/sources.list file:

    #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

    deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
    deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main

    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

That was created by Debian Stable after a fresh install.  It seems
rather sparse. After past installs of earlier versions the file had more
entries, iirc.
Also, I don't seem to be getting any updates after running:

sudo apt-get check
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Am I missing some important or at least useful entries? Thanks for any input.

Looks okay to me.

Stable doesn't get a lot of changes (that's the whole meaning of the word "stable"), so I'm not surprised you're not getting any updates.

If you want the newest, cutting-est-edge stuff, you can add unstable (or testing) to your file, and then you're likely to get updates a lot more often.

For example, here's my file on a Sid box:
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Notice that I also am pulling from the contrib and non-free "branches", and that I only have stable listed in the security line (as it's somewhat meaningless to have a testing/unstable security line).

--
Kent