Re: occult nvidia kernel version skew

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:56:37PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> > Can I just delete all this /usr/src stuff?
>
> Well, I did, and the system still boots.  Now, when it tries to start X
> it complains that there isn't any nvidia driver, rather than that the
> avaliable driver has an inconsistent version.
>
> Now is the time to start installing again.

And it works.  Still some crashes, to be investigated elsewhere, but it
works better that the old version on the old kernel.

The problem may to have been cross-contamination between different
version of nvidia-kernel-source causeb by building both in the same
build directory (/usr/src).  I used a fresh, empty, build directory this
time, and it worked.

Perhaps /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian should warn
users to avoid this kind of comtamination be either
  (1) starting with a new or emptied build directory every time they
have a new version of nvidia-kernel-source (and meybe also when
compiling for a new kernel)
  (2) cleaning out /usr/src if that's where they're building it.  And
they'll need instructions how to clean it, since the majority of them
will not be Debian developers.

 -- hendrik