Re: occult nvidia kernel version skew

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 06:18:03PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> Guessing that my problems probably resulted from a faulty upgrade (and
> there was plenty of that in the xorg6.9->7.0 transition), my next step
> would seem to be to purge *all* nvidia-specific packages, remove their
> .debs from apt-cache, reconstruct the locate database, look for any
> remaining files with a reasonable facsimile of "nvidia" in their names
> and delete them, look for any stray files not part of any package and
> delete any that look suspicious, and then begin to install the stuff
> again from scratch, downloading .debs, compiling kernel modules, etc.
>
> Anything else I should watch out for?

This is what I would do:

apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source module-assistant
m-a prepare -t nvidia-kernel
m-a build -t nvidia-kernel
m-a install -t nvidia-kernel
apt-get install nvidia-glx

Although with the last one I did I had to dpkg-reconfigure
linux-image-<version> afterwards.

Also you will need to rmmod nvidia (to remove the old one) first.

Scrutinise the errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any clues if it fails.
With apt-cache policy <package> you may notice any version conflicts.

--
Chris.
------