Kernel Panic with Sarge

In October last year, I sent the following message
 to Debian-User mailing list :-

 When just about to open a LaTeX file for
editing, the screen beeped, the following syslogd
messages appeared in xterm and then
the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights started
flashing in unison with the screen
completely frozen. Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't work
so had to reboot from the Power button.

kernel: CPU 0 : Machine Check Exception:
0000000000000004

kernel: Bank 4 : b200000000040151

kernel: Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt

 After the reboot both the green power
light and the orange disk light on the front of the PC

are steady (i.e. not flickering).

 Has anyone any suggestions please as to the possible
 cause of this ?

 Debian Sarge is being run on a 650 Mhz Pentium III
 machine.

 Screen freezes have occurred before with this same
 setup (as previously reported to the Debian Users
 Group) but without the above messages.

 Since then, I have tried various ways to eliminate
the freezes, but they still occur. In fact they appear
to be occurring more often now.

 The following possible causes have now been
discounted :-

 (a) New fan and heatsink now in place, so overheating

     is not the cause

 (b) All the old memory has been replaced, so not a
     memory problem

 (c) A new power supply has been installed, so not a
     power supply problem

 Some people suggested replacing the CMOS battery. I
have not tried that as I think it is an unlikely
source of the problem. The system clock has not been
slowing down and also I understand that CMOS battery
problems are most likely to cause problems at boot up
 time.

 Someone suggested that it might be a video driver
problem, but I think that unlikely.

 N.B. The problems seem to have started after Linux
was changed from Debian Woody to Debian Sarge, but
      no-one I asked seemed to think the freeze was
due
      to a software problem.

 The reply to uname -r gives 2.4.27-3-686 for the
current kernel version.

 Lastly it should perhaps be mentioned that the
motherboard is an Abit BE6 II (the earliest version,
not v2.0).

 Any help in sorting out the above long term problem
would be much appreciated.