Re: (SOLVED?) Re: MP3 encoding?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:29:08 -0700
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, lame does a conversion and does not give me any errors.  I can
> play the file with 'play' from sox, and sox will take it as input to

iirc it depends if sox has come with links to the libmp3lame or other
mp3 related libraries on by default. Maybe this is not the case, since
mp3 encoding is by definition encumbered.

Here on 'etch' sox is linked against libvorbis but not any mp3
libraries, so I expect "native" saving in mp3 format isn't going to
work, unless of course you recompile 'sox'. Ogg vorbis should work
though.

Over here it seems to play (using 'play anmp3file.mp3') just fine.
However, its screen output gives me the impression it's actually ogg
vorbis doing the playing.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.