Re: Dapper Drake verdict: It sucks

I wrote this on one of the forums I visit.

I have been running breezy without any problem, and when I did a
apt-get update dist-upgrade it borked my system.

I have quake4 and utk4 installed, after the upgrade quake4 would not
even run, xorg was broken. This is what I get from filling a bug
report! This is one of the bug reports I filed,
bug report 47369, filed against nvidia-glx.

This was the response I got!

status Rejected
Ubuntu cannot support manually installed drivers.

** Changed in: linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15 (Ubuntu)

Or what about this one!

Bug 47391 which had an strace file attached and filed against xorg,
note quake4 was running fine in breezy.

This is what they responded with.

Quake 4 is not supported by Ubuntu. Contact the quake developers for
debugging quake.

The strace pointed to xorg, so this guy is just clueless, why would
I file a bug report with ID when its Ubuntu problem to get proper
support, with the xorg packages.

I don't think I will install any Ubuntu distro again with support
like that! Not to mention all the undocumented changes they make
that bork stuff up.

For the brave of you try to compile a vanilla kernel.org kernel and
see what mistakes you get. They have a whole thread of just making
it Ubuntu friendly. Even if you follow the howto's I get errors.
See this bug report 47376, in short it gives me device-mapper:
dm-linear: Device lookup failed. This is using old.config off a
breezy smp kernel.

So tell me how is this a good distro?

out the history of some packages, this just shows the lack of
professionality of the writer.  Right now I have very little time,
and I am seeing if another bug fix of xorg in Ubuntu's line will
fix my quake problem.

If I had the time, I would wipe ubuntu from every system I have just
out of spite for the way they treat bug reports. I have it on a
amd64 system which right now is a dual boot system, and an old
laptop that crunches rc5-72.

Gnu_Raiz