Sound with ATI IXP150 AC'97

Hi all,

I use debian etch on my Compaq laptop and I don't understand how the sound
card works. I installer alsa packages, the sound card was detected and
some applications (like gcompris) work perfectly.
However, most other sound application (e.g. esd) don't work. It appears
that the system has no /dev/dsp or /dev/audio device (even after a
MAKEDEV).

I really don't understand what the hell is going on. Can anybody help me
solve this issue or give me any hint ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Nicolas SABOURET
Laboratoire d'Informatique de Paris 6 (LIP6)