Re: apt-get broken, packages not fully installed or removed

Why not just keep x11-common?  It looks like a whole ton of X libraries
are already installed.  Otherwise, figure out which programs depend on
each individual library, either by dpkg --show <programname>, or by
trying to remove each library individually.

Up until a month or two ago (when I gave it away), I ran a console-only
laptop (sarge, however) that ran into these issues from time to time.
I'm just now checking e-mail and saw the words 'reinstall' float by....