Re: apt-get broken, packages not fully installed or removed

On 6/14/06, Charles Hallenbeck <chuckh@hhs48.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 05:02:30PM +0700, Dave Patterson wrote:
> * Charles Hallenbeck <chuckh@hhs48.com> [2006-06-14 05:42:43 -0400]:
>
> Try:
> apt-get remove --purge X11-common
> apt-get dist-upgrade

I had a similar problem two days ago trying to update 'libwx2.6-dev' from backports.
'apt-get' failed package upgrade due to  unmet dependencies and I was unable to fix the problem with 'apt -f install'.
A debian user suggested me to fix the problem using synaptic and filtering defective packages..  it did the job.

Now I'm doubtful: is it safe using backports? why 'apt-get -f install' did not solve the problem?

bye

// SS

--
"In theory, it shouldn't be that hard, but it just needs to be done"