Re: Where does Debian store packages on my local disk drive...

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 05:18 -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
<snip>
>> I've got another Debian box at home that isn't wired to the net yet.
<snip>
> run this script on the debian system that you want to update:
> apt-get -y --print-uris upgrade|awk '{print $1}'|grep deb|cut -d\' -f2
> it will output a list of URLs that can be used in any browser to downloaded the
> deb files from any computer and then can be burned to CD.  (change 'upgrade' to
> 'dist-upgrade' if you wish to dist-upgrade.)
> Then run:
> apt-get upgrade
> once the files are transfered to the /var/cache/apt/archive directory.

there is only one flaw in your solution: if his home system isn't
connected to the net, it doesn't know about any available updates.

a possible solution would be to run 'apt-get update' on a (net-wired)
system with exactly the same sources.list, burn /var/lib/apt/lists on a
CD and copy those files to the offline system. only after that will
Kevins solution work.

good luck,

--
Joris