Re: gdm fails after 3.1r2 desktop install

Can you run tasksel?  That would be a painless way to get all the
packages you need.

The point of apt is to resolve dependencies, though, so if
xprt-xprintorg is really necessary for x-window-system, it should come
along for the ride.  If your /etc/apt/sources.list file only has a CD
for its source, though, that could be a problem.

Can you send us the output of 'apt-get install x-window-system' ?  That
would be helpful in solving your problem.

--John