Re: Version Magic and Kernel 2.6.16-2-686-smp

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 12:54, Ben Whyte wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an onboard network card which has a vendor supplied driver
> module, which I compile and then put in the right place.
>
> It builds correctly and copies correctly but when I try to insmod it,
> it complains about the version magic, basically saying that the version
> magic is 2.6.16.2-686-smp gcc 4.1 instead of what it should say which
> is gcc 4.0.
>
> I have linux-headers-2.6.12.2-686-smp installed and I suspect its down
> to the fact that the headers have been built with gcc 4.0 rather than
> the current 4.0.

4.1?

> Two questions, should I log a bug and also what can I do to solve the
> issue.
>
> Ben

gcc is a symlink to one of the versions installed, usually there are a
couple if not more installed. You can link gcc to whatever vesion you
need, 4.0 or 4.1, it should match the running kernel but this gets out of
syc once in awhile.
--
Greg Madden