Re: Installing a dual-boot Linux and Windows system with two hard drives...

Þann 2006-06-12, 14:45:10 (-0700) skrifaði Redefined Horizons:
> I'm currently running Debian Sarge and MS Windows XP Office on the
> same 8GB hard drive. I talked my IT guy out of a 20 GB hard drive. I'd
> like to install Debian on the new 20GB harddrive, and install MS
> Windows on the 8 GB hard drive.
>
> Is this possible?

Yes.

> Which order should I use to install the operating systems?
>
> I'm guessing I set the 8GB hard drive as the master and install MS
> Windows first. I then set the 20GB hard drive to "slave" and install
> Debian. Is this correct?

This is how I would do it at least.

> Can I tell Debian to leave the 8GB hard drive alone and to only
> install on the 20 GB.

You dont have to tell it to leave it alone, it leaves everything alone
that you dont tell it to touch, unlike some other operating systems :-)

But Debian will overwrite the master boot record on the master drive
so you will be able to boot into either windows or debian.

HTH

Oli