automagic update and package maintainment

Hi,

I have a few servers running debian, and I like to automate the update and maintainence of the packages for them. I usually try to run aptitude update and aptitude upgrade on a regular basis, but I would like to do this automatically, but in a safe way.

I'm not sure I can just put the above in a cronjob and feel safe, is there any caveats thats good to know about? And how does everyone else manage this, probably common problem.

Best regards,
	Eric