Re: which debian linux-image has 2.6.16.17?

On 6/12/06, Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6/12/06, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> How do I find out whether a Debian Unstable linux-image has kernel.org's
> 2.6.16.17?

Linux image package comes with specific versions, for example, there's
a package linux-image-686, accompanied by linux-image-2.6-686, which
in turns install the latest version of the 2.6 kernel series uploaded
in debian, as of now it's linux-image-2.6.16-2-686.  To find out the
latest version of the kernel for the debian version you use, you can
go to:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

And perform the request...  For unstable and i386:

linux-image-2.6.16-2-686
unstable (base): Linux kernel 2.6.16 image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4 machines
2.6.16-14: i386

But you can search for your architecture if it's not i386.  If you
want to play with debian compiled kernel, from 2.6.17 pre-releases,
experimental has the RC3 pre-release:

linux-image-2.6.17-rc3-686

And if you go to:

www.kernel.org

You'll find out the latest pre-released version corresponds to RC6:

2.6.17-rc6

If you want latest, you better download the RC6 from www.kernel.org
mirrors.  Notice 2.6.17 has not been released yet, you'll find only
pre-releases, so if you really want the 2.6.17 kernel you'll have to
wait more.

I wouldn't go for any binary beyond unstable, and if I'm compiling
myself, I wouldn't go with pre-releases unless trying to test a fix
required for some hardware.

My applogies.  I thought the question was about 2.6.17, and it was
2.6.16.7, :-(.  Better some one else answers...

--
Javier