Re: on board RAID chip

Adaptec rather :)

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Justin Piszcz wrote:

First off, its not a real raid, its a fake raid. Search for SATA raid linux on google, you'll see that 95% of raid controllers are not really raid controllers. Certain Intel, Adataptec and 3ware are real controllers.

All the RAID chip on the mobo does (for Windows) is make it appear as a logical volume. You're much better off using SW RAID, there may be an 'ataraid' driver to support the BIOS' fakeraid chip, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd use SW RAID1 if I were you.

Also, you may want to run lspci from command line to show us what kind of RAID you are talking about (chipset-wise).

Justin.