Re: installing new kernel

On Mon, June 12, 2006 16:20, Sam Rosenfeld said:

>> so, is
>
>> > apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-<arch> would do the trick and should
>> > pose no threat to your data
>

> I tried to install a new kernel with: "apt-get install
> kernel-image-2.6-i686" but it does not replace my old kernel (2.4.27),
> even after a cold start. (I've not had any problem installing any (other)
> application.)

After the restart, what did GRUB present you with? Normally the new kernel
would be selectable in the GRUB menu. If it doesn't show up, try editing
the GRUB configuration by hand. It's quite simple to add an extra kernel
to the menu in de conf.

--
Groet,

Peter Teunissen

-- Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their own level and
beat you on experience.