RE: Failed to install man pages, then debootstrap fails, and the house falls in

I'm now at the point, via random attempts to fix this, where "Install base
system" fails because mount is looking for libdevmapper.so.1.02, and what is
on my CD is libdevmapper.1.01.

Can I just set up a symlink to a file with the right name to
libdevmapper.1.01?  I don't want to corrupt the disk, I have existing data.