Re: xrog upgrade borked ALOT

The problem is that recent Xorg upgrades have moved a whole bunch of stuff
around and therefore need to change xorg.conf appropriately. The first few
times, it saved my old one and made a new one. Xorg did not work so I simply
put back the old one after messing up trying to hand merge them.

Now, it checks and if anything looks "customized", i.e. one uses or might have
used the dri-trunk packages, switched monitors or graphics cards, etc., it
doe not make the changes.

Most important is that all the executables are now in /usr/bin. The first such
upgrade symlinked the /usr/X11R6/bin to /usr/bin so this did not bork things
up. Apparantly, modules directories are no longer used so if the changes are
made, all ModulePaths are simply deleted. Problem is that they may in many
many cases still be needed. Some FontPaths may also have changed and try and
find those manually!

I think that a "line-by-line" installation utility to straighten all this out
is in order. It's easy to see that certain module paths exist and are not
empty. The packager knows where fonts have been moved. That rgb.txt file
which I still have not successfully accessed, is another line item.

If we are using apt or aptitude, etc., to upgrade Xorg, then we should not
need to solve a jigsaw puzzle to keep it working :-)