Re: anybody familiar with email setup in Debian?

H.S.(hs.samix@gmail.com) is reported to have said:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Debian Etch on my computer. After the installation,
> I noticed that email (local) was not working at all. I had these in my
> /var/mail
> $> ls -l /var/mail
> total 0
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 Debian-exim
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:29 gdm
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:26 hal
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 identd
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 messagebus
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:31 user1
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 16:32 sshd
> ---------- 1 root mail 0 2006-06-05 14:25 statd
>
> I had to manually change the permissions of user1 to -rw-rw---- to get
> mail working. So far so good.
>
> However, what are the other mail files for in the above directory? And
> why were the permissions set in such a weird way? Anybody familiar with
> this kind of setup?
>
> I have:
> $> dpkg -l *exim* | grep ^i
> ii  exim4               4.62-1              metapackage to ease exim MTA
> (v4) installation
> ii  exim4-base          4.62-1              support files for all exim
> MTA (v4) packages
> ii  exim4-config        4.62-1              configuration for the exim
> MTA (v4)
> ii  exim4-daemon-light  4.62-1              lightweight exim MTA (v4)
> daemon

Don't know about those wierd files.  This is all I have in /var/mail.
As you can see, this box goes back a few years.

> ls -l /var/mail
-rw-rw----  1 boss  mail  20K 2006-06-10 18:19 boss
-rw-rw----  1 linda mail 2.2K 2005-02-15 16:52 linda
-rw-------  1 mail  mail 2.2K 2004-10-04 15:25 mail
-rw-------  1 root  mail    0 2004-10-09 11:58 root
-rw-rw----  1 wtopa mail    0 2004-10-06 08:30 wtopa

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
Wayne

--
Real Users find the one combination of bizarre input values that shuts
down the system for days.