Totem-gstreamer on a fresh install

Hi folks,

I have a fresh install of sarge stable and am trying to get totem to
work.

I've successfully run the script
/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh
to install css.

I've installed gstreamer0.8-plugins.

I've set up symbolic links for /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom.

The package does work somewhat. It will play a .mpg file using
the /cdrom device, but won't read the same disk as a dvd.

When I try to play the dvd I get error messages such as:
-Totem could not play 'file:///dev/dvd'.
	There is no plugin for this movie.
-Totem could not play dvd://
	-could not open resource for reading
	-failed to open reason unknown
	-could not determine type of stream
	-cannot open file dvd://
	-no plugin to handle this movie

My best guess is that I'm overlooking something obvious about either
the paths, plugins or devices. Can someone give me a few hints?

	tia,
	b.