php4-sybase bug?

I'm running Sarge with all the latest security updates.  I'm running
Apache, php4 with the php4-sybase module installed for the application
to hit a MSSQL 2000 server.  I installed everything via apt-get. It
installed php4 4.3.10-16 and all of this dependent packages including
php4-sybase 4.3.10-16. When i tried pulling up the web page I kept
getting warning messages about an invalid resource id or something.

Now after some investigation I found that the problem went away in php
4.3.11. So i did a diff between php_mssql.c in 4.3.10 and 4.3.11 and
created a patch. I downloaded the package source for php4 and found that
the patch that I created had been already been rolled into the source.
So i compiled the source into a debian package and only installed the
php4-sybase package and all of my problems went away.

So obviously the pre-built package has been compiled from different code
than what I pulled down for the package.  Can anyone shed some light on
this. Is this usuall? Should i contact the maintainer?

Thanks
Mark

--
Mark Rinaudo