Re: Audio CD problems..

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 07:38:37PM +0200, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:20:16 +0200 Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > However if I attempt to play an audio CD using KsCD, it displays the
> > track name and duration correctly and the counter counts up plausibly,
> > but no audio is produced, even with all faders fully up.
>
> Try Digital-Aufdio-Extraction (DAE).
> In xmms you have to open the preferences dialog, and configure
> libcdaudio.so, there is a switch between analog and digital extraction.
>
> That helped on my Sony Vaio R505R/GK.

Thanks Evgeni,

The xmms tip produced an interesting clue about my playback problems.

Selecting "Digital audio extraction" resulting in successful playout,
but switching back to "Analog" got me back to plausible looking silence....

Looks to me suspiciously like some apps defaulting to  analogue playout
function which exists in the drive, but is not wired through to the audio
hardware in this laptop...

I managed to get KDE's KsCD to work as well by switching to digital playout,
but it was frustratingly difficult because the 'configure' dialogue box
was a non-resizeable window that was to big for my 1280x768 LCD display,
meaning that the 'OK' button was unreachable. I ended up having to
change the configuration using a fvwm session, using the virtual windows.
Ironic that I couldn't setup a KDE app using KDE :-/

That seems to explain my playout problems. The remaining issue, which
seems to be unrelated, is my inability to rip...

Where is DAE to be found? I didn't find anything in apt?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com