Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop

hi ya david

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, David R. Litwin wrote:

> It seems to me, still, that though XFS is faster

ext2 is the fastest fs out of ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs
	- read, write speed
	- xfs, jfs, reiserfs is faster for formatting

> (en general! Don't lop off my head for making a blanket statement!)

always fun

> and may become the standard at some point,

xfs lifespan is limited unless sgi does some major technology upgrades
that people will buy sgi instead of its competitor ...
	( pixar, ilm, etc )

> ext3 is currently the most stable and reliable

and fixable

> I'm still not clear over the controvesy of having an ext2 /boot
partition

/boot is needed because soem old bios cannot read past 512MB disk boundry

/boot is NOT needed in general ...

/boot is neeeded if you are doing crypto-fs or lvm
	or more like /anything/vmlinuz and /anything/initrd is needed
	and it doesn't matter what its named ( /boot or /anything )

> and an XFS / partition: Why shouldn't I do this (if I choose to use XFS)
given that I do use GrUB?

grub is dumb, or smart, a point ov view, in that grub needs to know
the filesystem of /something/vmlinuz in order to read the kernel
and boot ( it needs its stage-1.5 info ) that is on a filesystem

lilo doesn't need the stage-1.5 info, which makes lilo "dumb" compared
to some nice grub features ... or lilo is smart cause it doesn;t need
stage-1.5 info

--- if it boots .. you don't care whether it is xfs, jfs, reiserfs,
    crypto-fs or even ext3, ext2

> I love the Bleeding edge)

than use lvm .... and cryptofs :-)  ...

> Since I've heard good things about crash
restoration (this laptop does crash) for ext3 and... not so good for XFS, I
think the former is safer.

that'd be a safe bet... if you do NOT save your data elsewhere

if the laptop is properly backed up.. it wont matter if it crashes or is
stolen
	- if its stolen, cryptofs will cover your butt ...
	and all your silly passwd you saved on the laptop

> The swap business. To partition or to have... files? What are the pros
and
cons (feel free to link to a howto or tell me to do so)? Indeed, should I
even _bother_ with a swap?

you will NOT need swap .. as long as your application does not run
out of virtual memory

> Will it make that much of a difference?

yeah... if you run out of virtual memory, your system will crash

if you have swap, it'd keep chugging away, a little slower or way slower
depending on your app and how much swap is used

> Finally, I know that there can be no absolutely correct choice.

for a specific condition, there is usually 2 or 3 best choices
and the reset of the normal i do it this because "that's what the
installer did" which is usually wrong for certain requirements
	- ease to recoverablity
	- faster performance
	- ease for admin and backups and restore
	- easy for 3:00am fire fighting when you rather not be there

for easy to install ... that's what the installer does/did ...

> I do _listen_ to a lot of music (an
increasing amount in flac).

xfs is good for lots of small files ( thousands of 2KB sized files )

xfs is NOT good ( better than any other ) for a few large files

> P. S.: Partitioner-wise: My friend reccomended I stick GParted on to a
> CD and use that. Is this the best programme / way? Any comments?

fdisk is the best ... but if one doesn't know fdisk and need gui...
than use what you can point and click with

c ya
alvin