Re: Making a mixed audio and data CD with cdrecord?

Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'd like to make a mixed audio and data CD that can be played in a
> normal audio CD player or mounted on a GNU/Linux or Windows box.

What you're trying to create is sometimes called a "CDplus" or "CD+"
disc.  These are multisession discs with an initial audio session
followed by a data session.  Normal audio players don't recognize
multisession discs, so they just read the first (audio) session.

Such discs need to be written in two "cdrecord" passes, using
something like this:

   cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd -multi -pad -audio track1.wav track2.wav track3.wav
   mkisofs -r -J -C `cdrecord -msinfo dev=/dev/hdd` -M /dev/hdd -o foo.iso data/
   cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd -data foo.iso

Obviously, it'd be a good idea to create a test CD-RW first, assuming
your audio player reads CD-RWs okay.

Googling for <<cdrecord cdplus>> and <<cdrecord multisession> may
help, too.  In particular, there's a "README.cdplus" floating around
that gives instructions on creating these kinds of discs.

--
Kevin Buhr <buhr+debian@asaurus.net>