Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 01:21:17 -0400
"David R. Litwin" <presently42@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hallo friendly list:
>
> I've decided that windows has to go and a swap has to come. So, I'm a gonna
> clear the hard drive of my Toshiba satellite A70 laptop and give myself a
> new start on life. Now, I've been looking about some. It seems that ext3 or
> xfs are the best filesystems, with /boot being on a seperate ext2 partition
> using xfs (do I need to do this?). Is this true? Is it true of a laptop
> which I use for every day desktop purposes? I hear also that xfs is a pain
> to deal with if the system crashes. Is this true? How so? Finally, I've
> heard of zfs. Is this worth looking in to more?

Personally I use reiserfs. I crashed the system several times (my fault, bad
experimentation with suspend and such). It recovered quite nicely with the
reiserfs tools.

My machine also occasionally turns of without shutting down (several reasons,
mostly my fault) and recovers nicely and quickly on restart.

ext3, reiserfs and xfs all support laptop-mode which is also nice to save
battery life.

The main advantage of ext3 is that it can be accessed as a ext2 partition when
needed.