Re: switching OOo2 from upstream to backports

Marc Shapiro wrote:

I have OpenOfice.org 2.0 installed from the packages on the OOo site. I am thinking of switching to the packages on backports (I am running Sarge) since they do not depend on anything from KDE (I am told) and I am trying to eliminate all of Gnome and KDE from my system. I have backports in my /etc/apt/sources.list and previously did:

   apt-get -u dist-upgrade

but that only upgraded *some* of the packages, and not the one (openoffice.org-core4u) that depends on KDE libs. It seemed to work, but there was some flakiness when loading and saving some files. I am thinking that my best bet is to uninstall the version that I have, rename ~/.openoffice.org2, and remove the .debs from /var/cache/apt/archives before doing:

   apt-get -u install openoffice.org openoffice.org-help

Is this really the best way to do this, or is there another way. Also, when I do:

   apt-cache show openoffice.org

I get both the 2.0 version from backports and the standard 1.1.3 version from Sarge. Do I need to do anything special to insure that I get the backports version, or will its higher version number automatically insure that I get it?

Is the backport for OOo broken?
Is there a problem with openoffice.org-base?

I just did:

   apt-get -u -t sarge-backports install openoffice.org

and got the following results:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-base (> 2.0.1) but 2.0.0-4 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail