Re: trying to get the ethernet card working on a Dell Latitude

On Saturday 03 June 2006 05:22 am, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 17:07:44 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> > >
> > > You're confusing two steps. To install the driver, you need:
> > >
> > > modprobe 3c59x
> > >
> > > assuming the driver is available, not compiled into the kernel, and not
> > > already installed.
> > >
> > > To configure the interface once the driver is installed, you use
> > >
> > > ifconfig eth0
> > >
> > > but that will only print out the information on the interface; you need
> > > to determine the appropriate parameters for your network and use them
> > > to set it up. Eventually you should put these in
> > > /etc/network/interfaces to avoid having to set it up maually each time.
> >
> > when i do 'ifconfig eth0' i get 'eth0: error fetching interface
> > information: Device not found.'
> >
> > is there a way to check if the card is in physically working condition?
>
> Let's first check which network devices are recognized on your system.
> Please post the output of the following commands:
>
> lspci -v | awk '{IGNORECASE=1};/net|modem|firewire/,/^$/'
> ls -l /sys/class/net/
> ip link
> dpkg -l udev hotplug
>
> --
> Regards,
>           Florian

Florian,

following are the results of the shell commands. note that i had to transcribe
them from the dell screen to my system, since the dell has no communication
capabilities as yet. thus the lower case throughout.

# lspci -v |awk '{IGNORECASE=1};/net|modem|firewire/,/^$/'
0000:00:10.0 communication controller: lucent microelectronics WinModem 56k
(rev 01)
Subsystem: actiontec electronics inc: unknown device 2000
flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, irq 11
memory at f3ffdc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
i/o ports at dcd8 [size=8]
i/o ports at d400 [size=256]
capabilities: [f8] power management version 2

#ls -l /sys/class/net/
ls: /sys/class/net/: no such file or directory

#ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
   link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

#dpkg -l udev hotplug
desired=unknown/install/remove/purge/hold
| status-not/installed/config-files/unpacked/failed-config/half-installed
|/err?=(none)/hold/reinst-required/x=both-problems (status,err: uppercase-bad)
||/ name            version                  description
+++-=======================================================================================
un  udev            <none>                   (no description available)
ii  hotplug         0.0.20040329-16           linux hotplug scripts

also, i was wrong about the kernel version in my first post. correct version
is 2.4.7, though i can also boot with 2.6 if needs be.

thanks very much for helping me.

tom arnall

--
thanks,