Re: Changing floppy0 ownership

George Langford wrote:
> I originally groaned:
>

>>I use the following line in my fstab file:
>>
>>>/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  msdos    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>>
>>Then (as george) I mount the floppy disk thusly:
>>
>>>sudo mount -t msdos -o owner /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
>>
>>But when I attempt to write to the floppy, it turns out to be write-
>>protected. ... snippage ...
>

>>Is this what I should be doing to mount the floppy ?
>>
>>>sudo mount -t msdos -o george /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
>

> To which Florian helpfully noted:
>

>>You probably forgot to add your user to the "floppy" group. Users in
>>that group should have read/write access to the device; the "user"
>>option in your fstab should make it possible to mount without using
>>sudo. If that does not work you should check the permissions of the
>>device:
>>$ ls -l /dev/fd0
>>brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 2006-05-18 17:18 /dev/fd0
>>

> That's exactly what I get:
>
>>ls -l /dev/fd0
>>brw-rw----  1 root floppy 2, 0 2006-06-02 12:01 /dev/fd0
<snip>
> George Langford

Hi All,

I am having similar problems.  Not only can I not write to the floppy as
a user (I am a member of the floppy group), but it will not automount -
I have to manually mount it using the su command (sudo does not work for
me).  This also affects my USB pen drive - which will also not automount.

My floppy and usbdrive lines in fstab are:
/dev/fd0    /floppy	  auto	rw,user,noexec,user	0	2
/dev/sda1   /usbdrive     vfat	rw,user,exec,user	0	2

I played around with the last column to try to get them to mount - no
joy...  Now I just get errors on boot.  I know that sda1 is the right
device for the USB drive, because when I mount it in su mode, I can read
and write to it.  Could the problem be the type of directory that I am
linking these devices to and *their* permissions?

The entries in my auto.misc file look like this:
floppy		-fstype=auto,rw,user,suid	:/dev/fd0
usbdrive	-fstype=auto,rw,user,suid	:/dev/sda1

I checked the permissions of both files and they are almost exactly as
above (except for the date/time).  I know that it is possible to get
both to automount, because I did it on another Debian system I set up
ages ago under "Woody".

Regards,
Chris