Re: 4TB filesystem

On Friday 02 June 2006 15:22, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Koos Meijering wrote:
> > I am trying to create on a nfs file server a partition with the size of
> > 4TB every time after a reboot the system reports there is only a 2 TB
> > partition and an unused part of the disk.
>
> I have a 15 x 300 array under ext3 on the 3ware 9550SX-16ML. You need to
> use parted to create a GPT type partition system.  MS-DOS style(default)
> does not allow you to create over 2 TB arrays.  Then you can create your
> 4 TB partition.  You'll always have to use parted instead of cfdisk/fdisk
> when playing with partitions, as cfdisk/fdisk will see the "fake"
> partition table GPT uses to point to the real table.

Oh!  You're trying to partition?  :)  Yeah, I smile, but ever time I've done
large file systems, I've made the filesystem directly on the device itself:
no partitioning done.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111