Preventing kde to start

On debian 32 etch/sid I am trying from a few days frustratingly to prevent kde
from starting at the command <startx>. I already asked for advice but the
problem was not solved. I am posing the question again because the position
may have been blurred from repeated e-mails.

What I want is the X-system (which is what I normally need in combination with
Open Motif) and the possibility to start kde from <startkde> only when I need
it.

Today I updated xserver-org. What I have is:
X-Window System version 7.0.0
X Protocol Version 11 Rev 0 Release 7.0

I removed gdm and xdm with command
#apt-get remove gdm kdm xdm

Now the system boots to text but <startx> launches both X and, unwillingly,
also kde.

I forgot before the last step to reconfigure; see what happens:

debian:/home/francesco# dpkg -reconfigure kdm
dpkg: conflicting actions --control and --remove

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL) [*].

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or
`more' !
debian:/home/francesco#

I understand that there is a conflict but I am unable to solve it. Help
please.
Thank you
francesco pietra