Re: Help really needed: Formatted / partition by accident.

On 5/29/06, Christopher Nelson <chris@cavein.org> wrote:
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 04:22:29PM -0400, nick lidakis wrote:
> Kilian wrote:
  [snip details of recovering system]
> >That should be it. You'll lose your old root-partition (which you
> >already did, I think, by installing monowall on /dev/sda1) and your
> >old /usr partition. You should be able to keep /home.
> >
> >If there's anything important on /usr, you can of course save that as
> >you can still access this partition with the rescue cd.
> >
> >>Any help at all would be appreciated!
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >    -- Kilian
> >

> I think I lost everything. When I cfdisk /dev/sda in and ubuntu live cd
> there is only one partition labeled as FreeBSD (monowall is based on
> frebsd) filesystem. The rest of this disk is labeled as free space.

don't despair just yet.  It was mentioned earlier that parted can
recover data on partitions (I've not used it, so don't ask me how) --
and if you have an Ubuntu CD you can issue 'apt-get install parted' and
then do a 'man parted' and read docs in '/usr/share/doc/parted' to
figure out how to use it.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org