Re: Re: How to find right video card driver

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 07:17:34PM +0200, jbmorla wrote:

> I had trouble configuring my Xcongif file, because I purchased an off the
> shelves Acer PC.
>
> Obviously the video card was OEM and no search could detect no driver on the
> WWW.

You should have been able to find _some_ info on the chipset reported by
'lspci' -- do you still have computer?  What does it say the 'Display
controller' is?

> So I just edited the config file with VI and enter « vesa » as generic
> graphic card,

Good choice when you don't know the hardware on which the install is
occuring (or it's not supported)

> And I never had any trouble with KDE or GNOME.

Shouldn't--just wouldn't have 'optimal' performance

> If you have trouble detecting your hard drive, look for the Bonzaï Debian
> distribution.

The 'etch' installer should detect most harddrives these days,
especially 'standard' ones--most IDE and SCSI (I have no experience
installing to SATA, might have trouble mixing SATA and SCSI).  There are
unofficial 'sarge' installers w/ more recent kernels that should
recognize most harddrives, too.

> For NIC, pick an old 3COM  905 B TX ( for $10 )

I've also had good luck with the realtek 8139 series 10/100 cards.

> For mouse, there still are non usb PS2 plug in the shops, same for the
> keyboard.

I have USB both, and the biggest difference is that is case the USB
system goes down, you have no recource to fix it.  I'd go with a PS2
keyboard, either on the mouse.

> Finally the best mirror I could find for ftp debian is the dot.de one,  to
> be entered manually in sources.list

That depends very largely on your locations.  A german mirror would do
me, for example, much less good than a USA mirror.

> Make sure you backup at least these two files, xf86config and sources.list,
> personnally I wrote
>
> Them by hand, because sometimes you launch startx,

I'd personally back up the entire /etc directory, a lot of config gets
changed in the initial setup, if I was going to do a selective backup.

>then you open a character
> console,
>
> Then you enter some apt-get command, which smartly turns off then on EVERY
> daemon,

Not on my box..it turns off daemons right before updating them, then
turns them back on--and only the daemons it is immediately affecting.
My ssh daemon doesn't get restarted when I upgrade sendmail, for
example.  Did you somewhere configure it to kill everything but the dpkg
and bash processes?

> And when it comes to killing KDE or Gnome, you find yourself blastered to
> outer space,
>
> Because obviously you were inside the ship.

I'm absolutely certain I've upgraded X and my WM while logged into X,
with no ill effects.  The only thing that dies on me when I upgrade is
firefox--hardly a catastrophe.  Maybe you could provide us with some
output next time your WM is upgraded to figure out why it's blowing away
your session?

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
I'm not a level-headed person...        -- Bruce Perens