Re: ratpoison install error

Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> These questions should go to debian-user - debian-testing is a
> developers list, not a users questions list.

Um, a packaged failed to install.  I would call that a development
issue.  Especially since the error appears to indicate an error in a
control file.

> On 5/29/06, Zach <netrek@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi I'm running Debian testing release and got this error when
>> installing ratpoison:
>>
>> Setting up ratpoison (1.4.0-beta4-10) ...
>> error in control file: `Index' value missing for format `info' at
>> /usr/sbin/install-docs line 709, </usr/share/doc-base/ratpoison> line
>> 8.
>>
>> Here is some info:
>>
>> netrek:~# dpkg -l | grep ratpoison
>> ii  ratpoison                        1.4.0-beta4-10             Simple
>> window manager with no fat library de
>> netrek:~# cat /etc/deb
>> debconf.conf    debfoster.conf  debian-builder/ debian_version
>> netrek:~# cat /etc/debian_version
>> testing/unstable
>> netrek:~# uname -r
>> 2.4.27-2-686
>>
>> netrek:~# apt-cache show ratpoison
>> Package: ratpoison
>> Section: x11
>> Installed-Size: 324
>> Maintainer: Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org>
>> Architecture: i386
>> Version: 1.4.0-beta4-10
>> Provides: x-window-manager
>> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libreadline5 (>= 5.1), libx11-6,
>> libxext6, libxinerama1, libxtst6Recommends: xterm |
>> x-terminal-emulator
>> Suggests: ratmenu, emacs21, xbindkeys, xclip
>> Filename: pool/main/r/ratpoison/ratpoison_1.4.0-beta4-10_i386.deb
>> Size: 138670
>> MD5sum: 3bb38856874c69d4feffd9bef5abe333
>>
>> Regards,
>> Zach

Zach,

Have you tried running an `apt-get update` or `aptitude update` and
attempting the installation again?  Beyond that, I am not really sure.
You may want to consider emailing the package maintainer or filing a bug
report.  I would start with the maintainer, though.  If it is a bug, he
will likely ask you to submit a bug report.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto